Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summer Vacation 2010: Hilton Head - Day 4

8/23/2010: Trying to Keep Up!
Okay, so I've already fallen behind on the vacation blog, but things get busy and the only time I have to do it is when everyone is napping (or reading... speaking of which, I brought two books that I have yet to open since I decided to blog instead).
So here's the skinny on Day 4... the kids got breakfast kicked by making everyone biscuits.  The twins did an awesome job, not only handling the important parts of the baking, but also including Isaac in the process.  Impressively, the biscuits were really tasty!

The twins schooled Isaac on the art of Bisquick.














After breakfast, some of us headed off for another morning at the pool.  Ella slept the whole time we were at the pool on Day 2, but this time we managed to go while she was awake... at least for a little while.  After playing with her Aunt Melanie, she didn't have much left in her by the time I got to her and she nodded off right there in water.

Ahh, water feels good...


















... and I'm spent.













After lunch, Darren took the twins shoe shopping (and they scored some nice socks, too!) while Isaac and Ella napped, Rebecca and Melanie read, and I blogged and waited for a guy -- eventually two guys -- to come and fix our DVD player.  Eventually, Tales of Desperaux provided the backdrop of a lazy, dreary afternoon.
Melanie headed up a delicious chicken and rice dinner, and we enjoyed an evening stroll... well, Ella strolled... Kristen pushed, the adults walked, and Kaitlin and Isaac piggy-backed and eventually ran.  Darren managed to keep pace with them.  He's faster than he looks!
The kids played for a bit and then invited me for a game of Hide & Seek.  Not to brag, but not only can I hide better than you, I actually put most chameleons to shame.  But then I take it that one step further and scare the crap out of you when you get too close to finding me.  It would actually be cool if chameleons did that, too, wouldn't it?  Anyway, we played teams for a couple of rounds, and eventually I just started hiding each of the kids one at a time while the rest did the seeking.  Wow, the places you can hide when you're 3 to 5 ft. tall and weigh 30 to 70 lbs.

The twins had searched everywhere.  I yelled out,
"Isaac, you're doing great! Keep being quiet!"
From inside the stereo cabinet we hear a happy, "I am!"
Then the girls found him.  :-) 
















We got the kids in bed around 9pm and decided we'd have an adult movie night... that is, a night of adults watching a movie... as opposed to a night of adult movies.  But we took it to a "ho' nuva lebol" (a Mad TV / Eugene Struthers reference) and ordered up a late evening pizza like we did back in the college years.  We -- Darren, Melanie and I -- watched the critically acclaimed and award-winning (I think) film, Slumdog Millionaire, and we were not disappointed.  Rebecca managed to stay awake as long as we fed her pizza, but slept for most of the movie and woke up for the last ten minutes, just in time to spoil the ending if she ever wanted to watch what she missed.  This is pretty standard movie-watching procedure for her, and I'm okay with that.  Good movie, good night.

Today's Good Read: Psalm 40:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited. Your [clean] comments are welcome!