Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summer Vacation 2010: Hilton Head - Day 5

8/24/2010: Potters' Last Sand
Wednesday was the Potters' last full day with us this week.  Of course, we knew they weren't able to stay all week when they accepted our invitation.  Melanie had to get back and prepare her room for a new Kindergarten class and attend some school meetings.
So we decided to spend the morning at the beach.  The twins were catching some waves on their boogie boards, Melanie practiced her beautiful free-style stroke, Rebecca ventured out knee-deep with Ella briefly, but was nervous about getting knocked over by a wave so they eventually retreated to the umbrella and chairs, while Darren and I threw frisbee and avoided injury (if you know this family's history of beach vacations, this is significant), and Isaac busily dug, moved and threw sand.  As Darren and I lost accuracy with the frisbee, we took a break and went to be with the kids.  He caught some good video of his girls and I built arguably the most pitiful sand castle ever.  What can I say?  My heart just wasn't in that one, and do you ever get the feeling while you're building a sand castle that your back is on fire?

The boogie board pros.













Kaitlin's so good, she can ride waves with her eyes closed!














So I went and got Ella and Rebecca so we could all cool off.  Certainly the little baby would be safe with daddy... he strong like bull.  Rebecca ventured out with Isaac and hung with Darren and the girls and we were all rather entertained by a flock (?) of pelicans diving for lunch.  I stayed fairly shallow with Ella and dipped her in the water oh so carefully in front of me as we both faced the ocean, you know, so I could watch out for those little waves that sneak up on you and crash on your head and your baby's face as you lean over to look at how cute she is.  Yep, I missed that one.  No catastrophe though, I think daddy's head took the brunt of that wave.  Ella was rather unfazed.  And mom wasn't looking.  Way to go, dad... dumb like bull, too.
We got back to the resort for a late lunch, and then the Potter ladies hit the pool while Rebecca, Darren and Isaac napped and read, not necessarily in that order.  I tried to catch up on my blog, but as I type this, I'm still trying to catch up.  So yada, yada, yada... we relaxed, then the ladies cooked fixin's while Darren grilled Bubba Burgers.  Everything was delicious, the kids wanted to watch Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, so we queued it up and watched that while we ate Key Lime Pie -- not bad -- and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie -- barf should be descriptive enough for the taste, not to mention it looked like what I imagine Celery in Red Goo Pie might look like.  See for yourself.  Bleh.

Today's Good Read: Matthew 7:24-29

With all the wonderful pies in the world, people eat this?














An intense moment in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited. Your [clean] comments are welcome!